I've been doing a lot of unpacking and moving things around and trying to get settled into our new house. Kendra has started her new job teaching a couple of classes. Nathaniel has started second grade at a new school and gymnastics at a new gym.
I've preached a sermon in each church and I've attended an elders meeting.
How do you get up to speed in a new church district?
Here's what I've done:
- Started weekly meetings with the associate pastor
- learning about who he is and what exactly he does
- learning about who the (elected and de facto) leaders are
- learning about the current ministry structure
- learning about pitfalls and areas of opportunity
- learning about recent church history and why things are the way they are
- learning about what's on the calendar
- chosen a book to read through and discuss together
- Started working on some upcoming sermon series
- Heaven in My Heart
- Children's Bible Heroes
- Started meeting with elders and church leaders individually
- getting to know them
- trying to figure out the big picture
- Ordered the NCD survey
- Started exercising more regularly
- Administer the NCD survey
- assess the church's health in 8 quality areas
- evaluate a starting point
- start work on two "minimum factors"
- Continue meeting with elders and leaders individually
- Move into the church office
- Establish my regular office hours and work routine
- Try not to change the whole world all at once