Juggling Sheep
Welcome to Juggling Sheep, Jay Perry's blog about time management and personal productivity for pastors. Learn to balance work, life, family, and personal spirituality.

Share your best practices, tips and tricks, processes, sermon planning ideas, and resources. Feel free to email me: jaylperry[at]gmail[dot]com.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sermon Planning - Sermon Series Secrets

So, as I've mentioned before, I really like preaching topigetical sermons in topical series. The cool thing about this is that your six sermon series may be on one topic, but the whole series doesn't have to come from one scriptural pericope (because the series is topical, not exigetical). Each sermon, however, should be exigetical from one pericope that addresses a specific sub-topic. This is how I like to design my sermon series.

When I plan sermon series, I try to think like a spiritual dietitian planning a balanced spiritual diet for my church. So, throughout the year there would be a mix of Old Testament and New Testament, Felt Needs and Theology.

During a typical year plan, I would start with a skeleton of
  • Personal Vision or Finances or Health series in January
  • Life, Teachings, Death of Jesus series culminating at Easter
  • Church Mission, Vision, Values series in the Summer
  • Family or Marriage in September (after school starts)
  • Prophecy series in October
  • Advent in December
Then I'd fill in other series ideas between them.

Next post, I'll throw out some starter series ideas...

Till then!

No comments: